Wednesday, July 01, 2009

June 30, 2009


June 30, 2009

We are not officially done with the Alaska Highway yet so we drive the last leg to Delta Junction and take our picture in front of the finish line sign. In retrospect I was more worried about driving the Alaska Highway than I needed to be. It is not the long gravel road in the middle of nowhere that it used to be. It is a very long drive nonetheless.

From Delta Junction we continue northwest. It is sunny and warm with only a few clouds in the sky. We are finally back to shorts and t-shirt weather! The first day since I can’t remember. We pass a few roadside interpretative signs that detail how this area was the heart of Alaska’s gold rush. Thinking I might have a way to cut into the gas bill for this trip, we stop along the Tanana River and I try my hand at panning for a few minutes. Sadly I find nothing but sore knees.

Continuing on we roll into the North Pole. I knew this drive was longer than it should have been!!!! Making the best of it we take a picture with Santa, check out his reindeers and pick an RV spot just off the corner of Blitzen and Dancer Lanes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts