Tuesday, December 07, 2010

December 7, 2010


December 7, 2010

Being a homeowner again in many ways is like returning to work; this time as an unpaid day laborer. Much of my time has been spent working outdoors. Tending to our citrus trees is one of our new Arizona experiences. I didn't have a need to understand the lifecycle of the lemon in Chicago. Besides the lemon, we have a lime tree, and three varieties of orange. I have spent many a day running new irrigation lines, checking drip rates, and fertilizing the soil. We watched the trees flower and small green balls emerge. Aimee often commented on the beautiful butterflies fluttering around them. Only later when I investigated all the eaten leaves and discovered what I thought were bird droppings did I realize that these butterflies were laying eggs on the trees. The eggs hatched into ravenous “orange dog” caterpillars. Aimee and I spent many hours combing thru the leaves looking for these pests.

We had a cold spell last week that culminated in a hard freeze warning and the overnight temperature plunging to 24F. Not wanting to have my work go for naught, I took advantage of the Xmas season and bought a bunch of old-fashioned light strands, the inefficient ones that give off lots of heat. I turned all my citrus into glowingXmas trees.
While the trees were saved, the early cold snap must have signaled the citrus to ripen. All the oranges are quickly turning color. Even the tree with still tiny fruit. Oh well small oranges are better than no oranges. I picked one to test and it is sweet and juicy. I might not have a green thumb but apparently I have an orange one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts