Saturday, May 14, 2011

April 27, 2011

April 27, 2011

My sister Jean came to visit this week. I put my brother-in-law to work with a laundry list of gardening chores thinking that would keep him busy all week. He was a ball of energy and finished on the second day; I need to find alternative amusement to wear them out. After the standard warm-up hike around the area, Aimee and I decided to take them on our favorite hike of southern Arizona. We packed the car and headed two hours east to Chiricahua National Monument. Chiricahua is a rock wonderland formed from volcanic eruptions millions of years ago. It has to be the largest concentration of balancing rocks anywhere. I lead them on a 3.5-mile hike thru the middle of this awesome scenery.

My sister was a history major so I figure she would also love the Fort Bowie hike just up the road. It was the ground zero for the Apache Wars. After driving eight miles down a dirt road we arrive at the trailhead. The first stop on the hike is the foundation of a stagecoach rest stop. Jean is already imagining herself crossing this wilderness in a very bumpy and dusty horse-drawn vehicle. A hundred yards beyond is a large cemetery. It seems most were killed by Apaches. Apaches were not the farming type and instead preferred to live by raiding. They had to keep coming back to this spot because of the natural spring here. Despite no rain in six months, this water source continues putting out cold water. It feels great splashed on my head. At the top of the pass is the park Visitor Center and the few remaining walls of Fort Bowie. From here the army went out in search of Cochise, and then later Geronimo. By the time we get back to the car my sister is finally tired. She celebrates the experience by watching the John Wayne movie, Stagecoach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts