Sunday, July 01, 2012

June 27, 2012

June 27, 2012

Aimee is thinking we should stay here a while in Grand Mesa, Colorado. This place seems to be a great oasis from the heat wave scorching much of the West right now. Plus I like the economics. The electric sites here are dirt-cheap. The cash Aimee and I made working the last election will pay for three weeks of site fees here.

With no pressing sights to see we got up late today and Aimee fixed us a big breakfast. Midmorning we did a three-mile hike to explore the area. In that short span we passed a half dozen small lakes ending at Lost Lake. The shore seemed to be abuzz with mosquitoes. Oh no, our little paradise has a dark side. A fellow tourist said on the contrary, these were harmless Mayflies. He’s right; these flies aren’t biting and have no interest in us. I remember Mayflies from my flyfishing days. We would tie flies that looked like a Mayfly to attract trout. Now I see what they really look like.

Lost Lake is surrounded by steep boulder fields. I have seen these dark gray porous rocks often enough in the West to know they are basalt, formed from cooled lava. The description of the area as the largest flattop mountain is a euphemism for giant volcano. Oh Well, it is still beautiful and really what is the chance it blows again while we are here. Just in case, I am glad I always travel with Aimee, my lucky charm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts