Friday, April 18, 2014

April 2, 2014

April 2, 2014

As we fly west we cross over the International Date Line and lose a day. Aimee and I keep ourselves amused watching three movies and trying to readjust our body clocks.

One of the reasons we picked this time of year to come to Japan is for the Cherry Blossoms. Our original plan was to go see our Capitol’s blossoms, but with the severe winter they are having, who knows when spring will arrive. It turns out those Washington DC cherry trees were gifts from Japan in 1910 and 1965. As we land in Japan, I can already see cherry blooms lining the airport runway. I think our timing is good.

After going through customs, we are met by a greeting service representative, who provides us miscellaneous travel tickets, and gets us on the right bus to our accommodation. I am happy to find our Tokyo hotel room has a great view of Tokyo Tower, a modern twin of the Eiffel Tower of Paris. Every night it is lit up differently.  To immerse myself in this new culture, I try on the hotel-provided Yukata summer kimono and drink a Japanese beer purchased in the hallway vending machine.  I feel like a modern Shogun (military dictator of Medieval Japan).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts