Monday, July 13, 2015

June 30, 2015

June 30, 2015

I must have eaten something I shouldn’t have on the drive up because just after going to bed my stomach started to ache and I eventually got sick.  Oh what a time for that to happen!  I was miserable the whole day with my stomach and body aching.  Add to that was the heat.  I couldn’t stay cool.  I sat in the boat and watched the beautiful scenery pass by as best I could.  After throwing up I would feel good for an hour and then the cycle repeated.

We stopped several times.  One was at Redwall Cavern.  It looks like a small cave in the towering red sandstone cliff until you walk into it and realize it is an enormous amphitheater capable of holding 50,000 people. 

Our second was at the proposed site of Marble Canyon dam.  In the 1950’s several more dams were proposed along the Colorado River above Hoover Dam.  Glen Canyon was completed in 1966 forming Lake Powell.  An outcry of “Save the Grand Canyon” scuttled the other dams and finished with President Johnson proclaiming this stretch of river as Marble Canyon National Monument.  In 1975 it was merged into Grand Canyon National Park.  Despite being a national treasure, the Grand Canyon had a rough time making it to true National Park status.  A test bore was drilled into the cliff wall as part of the dam prep work.  Flashlight in hand we explored the 50 foot long narrow cave.

Our third stop was Saddle Canyon for a hike in a hanging slot canyon to a small waterfall.  The first section required a hot climb up the cliff.  I am not up for it, so I let Aimee go without me.  She said it was hot but the waterfall was refreshing.

Tonight we camped at Nankoweap Canyon, mile 53.  This large river delta was farmed by Anasazi Indians 1000 years ago.  High above us on the cliff is a small granary used to protect the food they grew.  A steep trail leads up to it.  I am still not up to it.  Aimee makes the hike and reports back that the granary is unimpressive and small, but the view of the river is outstanding.

Despite not eating at all today, I am still not hungry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts