Monday, July 16, 2018

July 5, 2018

July 5, 2018

We started the long return home today from Manchester, UK. Instead of our original direct flight, our rebooked one had a stop and left much earlier. We were out the door at 3:15 in the morning. Four flights and 27 hours later we landed in Tucson.

Despite the rocky start, Aimee thought this was one of our best trips. For me that is all it takes to make my top list too. A major contributor was the great weather we had. It was sunny and delightfully cooler than Tucson. The UK is a picturesque hilly country never far from the sea. It abounds in scenic walks and hikes.

Most of the cities we visited we wished we had stayed longer. Britain has a long history from Prehistoric to Victorian Industrial. The Brits have done a great job modernizing the country while preserving this history and maintaining the charming small town character.

I can't believe I am saying it but we enjoyed the food much more than France. The British diet has evolved from its old days of meat pies. Being an island the old standby of Fish 'n' Chips is still widely available and delicious. The Brits now enjoy spice in their food. Curry is popular. Thai and Indian restaurants are now as ubiquitous as Pubs.

Unfortunately for Aimee, I am still humming the “Old Spice” theme song. It was adapted from a traditional Scottish bagpipe melody and I can't get it out of my head.

The one thing I won't miss are the sheep, although I wish I had tried the lamb chops. Their droppings litter every field in England and Scotland. Tread carefully!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts