Sunday, July 11, 2021

July 9, 2021

July 9, 2021

Aimee and I both miss our RV. Car travelling is much more stressful. The everyday needs of packing/unpacking, looking for bathrooms, restaurants, and hotels takes away from the joy of wandering the country. RVs can’t be beat for exploring the West, but are problematic in the tight urban areas of the East.


Imagine my surprise when I saw Amarillo, TX has an RV Museum. I had to take Aimee. It took some effort to find as it recently moved into a larger unsigned location and shares the space with a Motorsports Hall of Fame. The facility is less a museum and more a collection of vintage travel vehicles. But it has some impressive collectibles. The items include the oldest Airstream from 1935! It also has the very first Itasca motorhome ever built. It used to be in the Winnebago Welcome Center. I wonder how they got it. Surprisingly, little has changed over the years in RVs. Mostly boxy designs have become a little sleeker and orange and lime are no longer the favorite colors.


One item that brought back memories was an old 1973 Popup camper. My family rented a similar one in 1967. We took it to camp on Lake Michigan. I had a blast exploring the sand dunes with my cousins. My parents not so much; we never did it again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts