Monday, March 24, 2008

March 21-23, 2008




March 21-23, 2008

We have seen almost every desert creature in the golf course “rough” below our deck except for javelinas. We have been hoping to catch of glimpse of these wild pig cousins before our lease expires. Luckily my bro-in-law Ed spotted a couple this morning, running past the green, unfazed by some golfers trying to putt. A minute later two more javelinas ran directly underneath our deck. While growing up, Ed always bragged about his animal magnetism. I should have taken his boast literally. He is a magnet for “animals”.

Jean and Ed haven’t had a chance to get much exercise during the snowy winter in St. Louis so I make them accompany us on another hike. It also gives us a chance to show off the beautiful Saguaro Cacti of southern Arizona. We drive to Saguaro National Park and take a hike up to the saddle below the summit of Mt. Wasson. Despite my warnings about cactus needles, Ed draws a little blood touching every variety. Aimee says that is the only way men learn.

On Saturday I give my relatives a day of rest and we spend it looking at open houses and a craft show. We have a nice relaxing lunch at the outdoor café of the Tohono Chul Botanical Garden. As Ed and I were exiting the restaurant, I glimpsed something lunge at my right leg. Instinctively I jump back and realize it is a rattlesnake, a venomous western diamondback. #@$%&!!! The rattler coils up, hisses, shakes his very loud rattle at me, and dares me to come closer. He is not big but he sure is mean. With all of our hiking we have yet to see a snake so I have been lulled into thinking rattlesnakes are rare and afraid of people. My soiled britches can tell you the diamondback rattler is not timid.

Aimee and I get up very early the next day and drive Ed and Jean back to the Phoenix airport and send them home on the first flight out. I have had enough animal magnetism to last me a long while!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts