Tuesday, May 27, 2008

May 22, 2008


May 22, 2008

We are continuing west through Ohio following the route of the original National Road. Our explorations have been expensive lately. Two days ago I passed up $3.79/gallon gasoline, thinking it too expensive. That seems to be a terrific bargain today. Just about every gas station is now up to $3.99. I guess nobody wants to be the first to go over $4 and make the news. By luck we found a slow-to-keep-up station off the highway still selling at $3.85. As I am filling up with this “cheap” gas, an Amish couple trots by in their horse-drawn buggy. The lady waves at me. Normally I would think she is being friendly, but right now I am thinking she is rubbing the high gas price in my face. I wonder how many horses it would take to pull our RV??

We make a brief detour to Dresden, OH and the factory site of Longaberger Baskets. This is Aimee’s idea, not mine. I have to say though I am impressed. There must be tons of money in basket weaving. The factory floor is huge with hundreds of workers hand-making all sizes; they make 17,000 high-priced baskets every day! From now on I am going to encourage Aimee’s desire to learn basket weaving. We could use the extra money to buy gas. On the way back to the highway, we pass the Longaberger corporate headquarters. The building is in the shape of an enormous basket!

We continue west spending the night at Buck Creek State Park. Our campsite faces the lake and we enjoy a beautiful sunset over the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts