Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 17, 2015

August 17, 2015

Walking to the train station, we notice Bern is a buzz of activity. It is Monday and everything is now open.  There are lots of guys in camouflage heading for the train. Switzerland has a long history of compulsory military service.  That is the way this small country has maintained its independent neutral status, a strong defense.

We board our train headed south deep into the Swiss Alps. We head up steep river valleys with some hillsides of green meadows.  Lush fields only come from regular rain and that is what we have today.  The low cloud cover is obscuring our mountain view.  I look at my lucky charm sitting next to me and tell her to get me some sunshine.

Two hours later we dead-end in the car-free village of Zermatt, near the Swiss border with Italy. After checking in, we set out for some hiking.  Zermatt is the home of the Matterhorn.  I came here some thirteen years ago for a day of skiing on a side excursion from a business trip.  I was lucky and had a clear glorious view of that chiseled mountain. Unfortunately I didn't take along a camera and at that time I wasn't into photography.   

With the clouds obscuring the mountains, we first talk about doing a valley hike.  After Aimee reminds me of our limited time here, we decide to chance it and head up one of the lifts.  We first take a funicular train carved into the mountain and then a gondola up almost three thousand feet to the Blauherd station.  We hike a half hour out to Stellisee at the bottom of the Findel Glacier. We are hoping to catch the Matterhorn reflected in this glacial lake.  Sadly the Matterhorn is just teasing me. She is showing a piece of her leg but won’t disrobe all her cloud cover.  

We hike an hour downhill on the Marmot Trail along a rocky cliff edge. Several times we spot an Alpine Marmot scurrying atop the rocks. They look like fleet-footed tan beavers.  At Sunnegga station we stop and order a beer on the ski-deck still hoping.  I can see a little more of the Matterhorn but she is still shy.

We then hike two hours along a mountain bike trail through the pine forest back to Zermatt. The trail is easy but straight downhill.  By the time we get to the bottom the soles of my feet are sore from sliding inside my shoes and my hips are killing me from the pounding.  I look up and catch a short glimpse of the Matterhorn disrobed and framed by clouds.  That is the best I can hope for.  A little later the rain starts and she disappears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts