Tuesday, December 06, 2022

December 2, 2022

December 2, 2022

We have a superb view of Milford Sound, New Zealand, from our room. I woke up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break and noticed the stars shining bright. That is a good harbinger for the day ahead. It also reminded me that if it was clear I intended to go out and see the night sky. I remember from Australia that the Southern Sky has 50% more bright stars. I am way too comfy under the sheets so instead I peer up and clearly see the constellation Orion staring down at me. Being in the southern hemisphere it is upside down of course. A few hours later, that same clear view and bright sunrise woke me up earlier than I wanted.

After a late breakfast we turned in our loaned hiking gear, checked out, and waited for the bus. Milford Sound is clear and calm and gives me the opportunity for some nice reflection photos. I am pretty sure that happens almost never. I am grateful for the good weather my lucky charm of a wife delivered on this hiking adventure.

While taking photos, of course Aimee and I heard that elusive songbird again in the trees. This time it swooped down right over our heads straight to some flowers on a nearby Maori Flax plant. I quickly pivoted and got some shots so we could identify it as the nectar-eating Korimak or New Zealand Bellbird.

We drove the few blocks to the marina and loaded on a tour boat for our excursion on Milford Sound. We have glorious sunshine. This probably only occurs once a month. The only downside of no rain is the waterfalls are minimal. Minimal for Fiordlands, that is. There are still a huge number from wispy to roaring. Milford is a sight to behold. No wonder tourists have been striving to come here under great duress and high expense for well over a century.

Back on dry land, we began the long drive back to Queenstown. The route takes us up the Cleddau Valley through the Homer Tunnel that connects us to the Hollyford Valley and over the Divide Pass into the Eglinton valley. This road only opened in 1953. We stopped in Te Anau to eat our sack lunch. And then it is another two hours to Queenstown. We lug our gear to our hotel in the plastic bag we used as a waterproof backpack liner. After checking emails at the hotel (with another nice view) we return to Pog Mahones for a Guinness and Soup. Along the way we met several of our new friends from the tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts