Tuesday, October 24, 2006

October 19-24, 2006


October 19-24, 2006

We are up before dawn to catch the 5:21 Amtrak train from Alton to Chicago. I think this is my first Amtrak trip. Aimee thought sure we were going to be the only one riding the train at this hour but we had lots of company. The 9:30 train would have been easier on us but was thrice the price (and you know I like to save a buck). By the time we arrive in Chicago the train is full. Riding the train sure beats driving. After a brief stop at Charles Schwab to deposit Aimee’s 401K transfer, we catch the commuter train to Itasca to stay with Aimee’s mother. My car is still there and starts okay, but there is a squeak from the rear axle for the first mile or two till the grease gets going again.

We spend a half-day at each of our storage units, reorganizing and pulling out things we will need this winter. I wish we had labeled the boxes on all four sides. Going thru all the boxes is pure drudgery. Both of us feel liking chucking everything and starting over. I give my mother-in-law a spin around the storage complex on the moving cart. She barely escapes being “stored” with the rest of our stuff.

Since we won’t be back soon we also take advantage of the new law and vote early. Republican, of course.

I also reviewed the statistics for our east coast trip. We drove 3200 miles on 315 gallons of gasoline. The mileage at 10.2 mpg is a little worse than our trip out west this summer but the cost was much better. This trip we averaged $2.25/gallon vs. $2.93.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wetegrove said...

Mike and Aimee,

Can't wait to see where you go next on my vicarious big adventure.

7:16 AM, October 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts