Monday, April 21, 2008

April 19, 2008


April 19, 2008

From Van Horn, TX we drove south towards the Rio Grande and the border with Mexico. Along the way the terrain changed from flat desolation to mountainous desolation. The only commonality was the lack of people and gas stations. I am beginning to wonder if I have enough gas to get us in and out of this area of the country. Eventually we hit the Rio Grande and drive east along the river. In this area the river carves a deep canyon out of the dry mountainous landscape. The Rio Grande isn’t so grand. I could jump across it with a running leap. But it is green and murky so I am not inclined to try. Besides the other side is Mexico and I would probably be arrested for illegal entry if I did. The landscape is reminiscent of pictures I have seen on TV of the Nile River flowing thru the Egyptian desert.

After slowly meandering up and down and around the canyon floor, we arrive at Big Bend National Park and choose a shady site at the Cottonwood campground along the Rio Grande. It is a grassy Midwest campground kept tended by a troop of grazing javelinas.

2 Comments:

Blogger artandlogic said...

Lol! Here is a video for you Mike:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMgzHTf37-U

8:37 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger artandlogic said...

=D

8:38 AM, April 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts