Tuesday, September 28, 2021

September 22, 2021

September 23, 2021

This is the time of the year when Aimee complains of having to refill the Hummingbird feeders daily. After several years of photography we know these night raiders are Lesser Long-Nosed Bats. I remind Aimee that they will be gone in two weeks.

Last night I watched a PBS show, the "Bat Man of Mexico" that featured my little friends. These long-tongued nectar-loving creatures are major league travelers. They breed in southern Mexico and then migrate north along the west coast following the Nectar Trail of blooming cacti. They home in on the brilliant white flowers of the tall Saguaros that are a beacon for them in the twilight. More importantly for me, I learned they are also important pollinators of the Blue Agave. As a result they have been nicknamed, the Tequila Bat. Margarita lovers in Mexico and Arizona banded together to save this bat from the edge of extinction. I tell Aimee we must do our part!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts