Wednesday, September 08, 2021

September 7, 2021

September 7, 2021

I had another swimming companion this evening. This is not a trend I am happy about. Our overly wet monsoon this summer is causing everything to flourish. This time I had to coax a Desert Toad back onto dry land. He is the first live specimen I have seen. The only other ones were roadkill. Apparently they hibernate most of the year and only come out after a summer rainstorm. When they emerge, life is on a fast track. Eat and reproduce before our ephemeral streams dry up.

Desert Toads have a poison gland behind their eyes. Apparently it is toxic to pets but is hallucinogenic to humans. I just hope my new friend is a he so I don’t swim with tadpoles tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:57 AM, September 16, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts